Summer High School Volunteer Program
- Are you a high school student, entering *9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades, looking for some work experience?
- Are you having trouble finding the perfect paid summer job?
- Rec&Ed is looking for some select, amazing and energetic high school volunteers to work in our summer programs!
Why should you volunteer, you ask?
- You can’t find a paid job that you really want
- You have a busy summer schedule and you’re not available to work a regular schedule throughout the summer.
- You want to be outdoors, or you love sports, or you love young kids, or you don’t want to be bored.
- You know it will be fun to be around other teens in a relaxed work environment.
- You have a requirement for school to volunteer in the community.
- It will really look great on your resume!!
- And, you’ll have the great feeling that you’re contributing in your community.
What would I be doing at this volunteer job for Rec&Ed?
We have a number of different jobs, from working at Safety Town with kindergarteners to helping coach a softball team or supporting a child with special needs in a camp, to helping with office work. We will match your interests with a job that you will love!
When would I be working?
You will tell us when you’re available, then we will match your schedule with our needs. Some students will work just one week, perhaps 4 hours a day, or some students work all summer long. Some of our programs are one time per week for just a few hours and others are all day every day. We’re flexible!
May I volunteer if I do not attend an Ann Arbor Public School?
Yes, you may submit an application; however applications will not be considered until May 24th.
- Fill out a Summer Volunteer Application (download application here)
- Get one of your teachers, a counselor, or a principal to complete a recommendation form (download here)
- Submit your application to High School Volunteer Program, Rec&Ed, at Pioneer High, either electronically, by U.S. mail to Rec&Ed, 1515 S. Seventh St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103, or by dropping by our office in person, no later than June 7, 2013. Deadline extended!
- Attend an Orientation Meeting at the Rec&Ed office on Tuesday, June 18 at 3:30 p.m. OR Friday, June 21 at 1:00pm OR Saturday, June 22 at 10:00 a.m.
- Have FUN and ENGAGE with kids at the camp you volunteer with this summer!
*Please note that volunteers entering 9th grade must attend an interview before being selected.
You’re ready to roll!
Questions? Email our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Applications for the High School Volunteer Program must be submitted by Friday, May 24th, 2013.
Advice to Parents
Thank you for supporting your student as he or she takes this first step entering the work world and embarking toward independence. Volunteering at Rec&Ed this summer will provide your student a great opportunity to develop and enhance leadership skills and a wonderful chance to be directly involved with his or her community.
We have found that students receive the most benefit from this opportunity when they complete the application form themselves and select the volunteer experience they are most interested in doing. If your student is strongly opposed to becoming a volunteer, it is most likely not going to benefit anyone.
Parents support their student by ensuring that they know when the can volunteer (aware of the family's vacation schedule or other commitments), have transportation, and understand the value of being rested and having a good attitude at work. When volunteering it is important that students speak directly with their supervisor regarding, changes in schedules, absences, and suggestions.